Liberum Help Desk
The free, open source solution for the web-based help desk.

Application Error - Number: -2147220973 (0x80040213)

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts
jnemastil posted on 05-20-2011 8:46 AM

When changes to open tickets are made by both User and Rep logins, the following error message appears.

The issue is not always present, but happens more often than not.

Application Error
Number: -2147220973 (0x80040213)
Source: CDO.Message.1
Description: The transport failed to connect to the server.
No more information is available.

Contact your administrator or visit the Liberum Help Desk website.

No Changes have been made to our server or our network. The issue started last week, but is intermittent. What is even more strange is that the changes are actually saved in the DB, but no e-mails are sent. Tickets are created, but no confirmation email is sent. Tickets are updated, but no status email is sent. Tickets are closed, but again, no notification email is sent.

I've searched the forums, but I can't find this error code anywhere.

What could cause this issue?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts

Ok. I found a solution to the issue. Updating the hosts file didn't make any changes in the issue. The server running Helpdesk is also running DNS on our network. I added a pointer record for the mail server in our RLZ and the issue went away immediately.

I find it odd that the issue was intermittent. Just another reason why we need to complete our network upgrades as soon as possible, I guess.

I hope my resolution can help others in the future.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts

Just an update for everyone. We have still made no changes to the server, and everything is working properly, right now. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Right now, I have a feeling it is network related. Can anyone confirm what this error message means? Is the request timing out? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
46 Posts

This is related to sending emails from the helpdesk, what server are you using?

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts

Helpdesk is running on a Server 2003 machine with IIS6 and SQL Server 2005.  Mail is a Server 2008 machine running Exchange 2007. We have had no problems at all with our Exchange server.

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts

So, what I've gathered from the error message, saying the transport failed to connect, and what you've said about it being related to the to sending emails, I've deduced that it's a problem connecting to the email server. The configuration for SMTP Server is set using the name of the server.

I'm going to update the hosts file on the server to point the name to the IP, in case there's a DNS issue on our network (which is very possible, as we're about ready to rebuild our network from the ground up).

It's currently working, so I'll wait until the issue comes back so that I can make the changes and test to see if it resolves the issue.

Top 50 Contributor
5 Posts

Ok. I found a solution to the issue. Updating the hosts file didn't make any changes in the issue. The server running Helpdesk is also running DNS on our network. I added a pointer record for the mail server in our RLZ and the issue went away immediately.

I find it odd that the issue was intermittent. Just another reason why we need to complete our network upgrades as soon as possible, I guess.

I hope my resolution can help others in the future.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright © Doug Luxem 2000-2010
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems